English: Fireworks on the Fourth of July (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
As I head out to celebrate Independence Day with food and fireworks I pause to think (I know, scary, right?).. I am so NOT independent of anything! I find I am more dependent than when I was a dependent!
I depend on..
- First and foremost I depend on God to open my eyes and ears
- help with my basic care
- supply of my basic needs
- technology to get out of the house
I can not imagine having no electricity, gas, and water supplied directly to my home. Or grocery stores stocked with food. Granted, you must have money to pay for these things.. there lies to quandary.
If I had only needle and thread and flour sacks would I still be a quilter? I think so, but I doubt I would have the fortitude that others who came before me had. I can only hope. Today I am grateful to all of those who helped this nation become Independent. It’s a goal I’m shooting for too!
Yesterday was not a very productive day for me personally.. DH and I found a new (previously owed) car for DD and we drove the hour there to see it then a half hour testing etc. ..yada yada.. bought the car and came home. All the searching came after I sold her truck yesterday morning. Home by 5:30 pm and got dinner on the table by 6 pm.
Somehow I did fit a trip to the fabric store in the middle of all that! I didn’t have the right purple for my grand puppy’s quilt! At the cutting table the salesperson asked what I planned for the fabric and I told her I was expecting a grand baby. She was excited for me! DH had come in with me (whether to hurry me along or to see what I was spending, it’s hard to say) But he had to correct me and tell her it wasn’t a baby it was a puppy. I don’t think he gets it. This is practice for when there are babies! See, I knew y’all would get it!
Now all I gotta do is pick a pattern.. So far I’m looking at these two.
I’d like the middle available to embroider her name but I can do that on the border.
Today there won’t be much accomplished as it is errand day. Hoping y’all find pockets of joy throughout the day!
- So many events… (dreamzhappenquiltz.wordpress.com)
Image via Wikipedia
The last six months have flown by.. I’m disappointed I haven’t been able to keep y’all up to date.
Loads of drama, but that’s not anything new really.
In a nutshell here’s the highlights..
- We finished the body work on DD’s truck and DH got it painted. It turned out very pretty but now she wants a little sports car. I think DH may have had a hand in that decision.
- #1 son starts his last year of College next month and should be back from teaching in Wisconsin in three weeks. He may have a job lined up in Tampa.
- DIL got a job in Atlanta and will be gone next week. So it looks like they will continue their long distance marriage for at least another year! ARGH! (hard to get grand kids that way!)
- # 2 son has a new girl in his life and she is a doll! Smart, funny and she tolerates him! What more could a Mom ask for? (it helps that he’s smart and funny too!)
- My mom is being divorced. Can you say ugly all day? It has been a crushing experience for her and watching it has been devastating for me. I don’t know if she will come out of this.
- #3 son signed with the Marines! Yes, I said the Marines! I have some very not nice words for the Navy recruiters here. All they wanted to talk about were video games.. uh, HELLO? Seriously? He tells them he wants to sign up and they talk video games? After taking the ASVAB and scoring quite well he just wanted to “talk” to the Marines.. yes, that is what he said. I know he wanted to sign with them when this started but I wanted Navy. So there ya go… I am a mother of a Marine! Pray for me! He leaves October 6th.
- I am just now putting the binding on that diamond quilt I am making for my niece. Yep I’m still working on that quilt and no I didn’t set it aside to make anything else.
- The garden is growing nicely after planting it the second time. We had a hard freeze the second week of February and there was no saving it. I spend at least an hour a day just watching it grow.
- We finished the upstairs bathroom. It turned out nice. We got the tile and cabinet in last month. Of course now that we’re close to finishing the big projects around here we’re talking about moving.. where depends on whether there are grands in the making…
So there ya go.. I’ve already missed two quilt shows.. I’m hoping that life settles down soon so I can get back into the quilt room. I think I may have settled the tension problem I was having with my longarm. It turns out it wasn’t me! When I moved it got knocked out of whack! ! Yesterday I traded the Babylock Ellegante in for a Duetta.. so there’s a new machine to play with. Oh and it looks like I have a grand puppy coming soon! So you know I have to make her a quilt!
Sewing the rows took a lot longer than I thought! Of course it’s so big I had to lay it out on the floor and sewing diamonds is a little trickier than blocks. OY VEY! So it’s not perfect but then none of the quilts I make are anywhere close to perfect so that makes it just right!
Squaring it up and attaching the borders are next. I’m trying to make sure it’s not done by Christmas.. it’s not a Christmas present.. it’s a replacement quilt for the one I had already given my niece that wasn’t my best effort.
I really like the look of it.. and I think the borders will set it off nicely. I’ve decided on an all over quilting pattern. But as yet I haven’t decided which one.. any ideas for me? Next time I won’t make one quite so big! It will end up to be a queen/ full size!
What’s next you ask? Well since I finished painting the dining room I am clear until Christmas! I got my Ellegante two days ago and have played with it.. loads of fun but yes a bit of a learning curve! Looks like I will be making the Christmas tree skirt after all!
- Quilt On!! (dreamzhappenquiltz.wordpress.com)
- Quilt 2 of 3 (More Pink & Green) (primanotion.wordpress.com)
- Yeah for me!! (dreamzhappenquiltz.wordpress.com)
I’ve got about fifteen more 9 patches to go but as you can see I can not fit it all on the design wall. But it does give me a better idea of how it’s going to look. I really like it! I actually like diamonds!
Nope, I didn’t get my dining room painted yet. I had the intense pleasure of spending yesterday in lines at the local junior college with #3 son! We started in the first line at 6am and finished with everything by 2pm! Doesn’t that sound joyous? Dual enrollment is definitely worth it so believe me I’m not really complaining! I just didn’t figure the whole day into my schedule.
DH is almost done with the Christmas shopping.. I am so blessed he likes to shop! It’s one of my least favorite things to do! I do have to make us a new tree skirt.. the mice got into it! Fortunately it wasn’t something special, I bought it years ago and it had seen better days! Does anyone have any fun ideas? I need inspiration!
It’s almost Christmas cookie time too! DD and I made eight batches last year and it looks to be about the same this year. The family favorite is oatmeal raisin chocolate chip.. I love making the fudge! But of course we make the shapes so we can decorate them. Our gingerbread cookies last year looked pretty sad but they tasted good!
Looking forward to time spent with family…
There always seems to be just one more thing to deal with or get done. Right now I’m trying to concentrate on one thing at a time. Okay, actually I have two on my plate right now. I almost put another thing on my plate but stopped just in the nick of time! Yes, I still have the master work list but my list has this quilt and painting the dining room. DH & #2 son are adding to the garage. Somehow a four car garage isn’t quite big enough.. he’s going for five! That’s happening next week, with the concrete truck coming on saturday. We already have more garage than house!
Middle bay is a pull through.. he's adding another under the apartment!
I had planned on finishing the painting today but ya know, I’d rather quilt. I’m really excited about this quilt! You know I changed my mind fifty times on the pattern. Then I came up with this one, I wanted to make a diamond quilt for some time. Sooo, that’s how I ended up back at the fabric store yesterday. I didn’t buy enough sashing fabric for this design! DH thinks Kona solids are expensive! HaaHaa! If he only knew how much $$ I really have in fabrics! (note to self: Don’t take DH fabric shopping again!)
I’ve got all the strip sets cut and all but eight are ready to sew into nine patches. This seemed to be the quickest way to piece this quilt. Though I could be wrong. Hopefully I will get the colors mixed enough. I only have twelve fabrics not including the border. probably should have had more but again, I planned on a different pattern.
This is the quilt that inspired me. It’s a Fons and Porter Quilt from the Jan./Feb 2011 issue. I didn’t use the pattern from the magazine but I really like the way the diamonds float on the background. I’m hopeful mine will have the same effect..
I’m finding my joy in the little achievements! One diamond at a time! There’s more to the diamond story but I’ll get to that later!!!